Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day Four- The Forgotten Painting

Dogwood Arrangement: Winter Walk By The Mendel
22 x 28"
acrylic and oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2012

How about that? I forgot about this painting... and I really like it! I painted it later on Day Four at the art class at the Kenderdine Campus in August. It was inspired by a section of another painting of mine from earlier this year (called "Surround Me"- see below).


I found an area in the lower portion that I thought could be an interesting composition and then painted it on a 22 x 28" canvas (the original painting was only 10 x 10"). I enjoyed playing with the colours, leaving the pink/red branches quite vibrant and then finding muted colours for the negative spaces - like the soft greens, blues and yellows.

The art show at Agar's Corner yesterday was a lot of fun and the weather was perfect for a drive to the country. I sold a couple of small paintings, but even more exciting was that I met some very interesting people: a man from Vancouver who is a professional photographer of art and who is planning to be back in January to hold a workshop on photographing art. I also met a man who has a business that takes groups out on canoe excursions. I spoke to him about the idea of taking plein air painters out! Not that I know how to canoe, but I could learn! I also met an 80 year old woman who told me that when she was 16 she took art lessons from Gus Kenderdine, the man for whom the Kenderdine Campus is named. Wow... talk about history! To top it all off I had a chat with my Grade Twelve art teacher who I don't think I have seen since graduation and I also saw my Kindergarten teacher! The visitors made the day a true success.

Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure... 

my set-up

the funky disco ball above my space
(likely left behind after a wedding... lucky me!)

that hung out with me all day!



he was a great conversation piece
but I finally shut him down when he somehow
managed to crawl up the back of my neck!




2 comments:

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

!!! omg that caterpillar is cute!! Love those photos. Congrats on a great day Nicki! I'm really intrigued by your new stuff... beautiful! ps- would you drop me a line when the art photographer rolls into town? That's something I need to attend.

: )))

~Monika

Nicki said...

Hi Monika... yes, there seem to be a ton of those little furry fellas around this fall. I think they are so cute... and they turn into quite beautiful "Isabella Tiger Moths".

Yes, if I get word from him regarding his workshop I will let you know! It sounds like he has a lot of knowledge to share.