Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sunday Spotlight - Bridget Aitken

 Amy's Garden
© Bridget Aitken

I have been anxious to introduce you to my friend, studio mate and one of my all-time favorite people! Please tip your hat to this week's spotlight artist, Bridget Aitken. This spotlight is taking on a slightly different format than the others; after my brief introduction you will find many beautiful images of Bridget's work and then at the end you will find a delightful letter written from her to you.

I met Bridget several years ago, but have really had the pleasure and privilege of getting to know her when I got my own space in St. George Studio in December of 2009. Our work spaces are next to each other so friendly chit chat and banter naturally occur and it didn't take long before we became close friends. Bridget has a great analytical eye and provides excellent constructive criticism; she has been called over to my space to lend a hand many-a-time when I have been stuck on a painting. She doesn't need me nearly as much as I need her! As you go through her images you will quickly realize that she is a versatile and multi-talented artist. Her talents don't stop with painting and sculpture, Bridget is also a wonderful singer/songwriter, curator and decorator. She is the reason "Family Tree", the show I had with my dad in the Spring of 2012, came together so beautifully. I love her gestural, loose style and I find her paintings exciting and energetic. This past Spring she took a class on abstract painting where she really embraced the new processes and ideas that were presented, despite being pushed out of her comfort zone. I think moving to abstraction is a natural progression in her growth as an artist- her "representational" work has always had a loose and abstract approach anyway. I adore my Bridget Aitken abstracted landscape...


Bridget's sculptures always seem to find a way into my heart, especially her female figures. I LOVE Esme and Market Lady, they make me extremely happy. I was so proud of Bridget as I watched them develop at the studio. She had a strong vision for both pieces and she kept manipulating the clay until what she saw before her matched what she saw in her head.

Bridget is very active in the Saskatoon arts community. Among other things, she is a member of The Mix Artists' Collective, St. George Studio, Prairie Sculptors and she sat on the planning committee for Art Trek: Studio Discovery Tour.

Now, grab a coffee, relax and please enjoy the work of Bridget Aitken. 

Market Lady
© Bridget Aitken

 
Emerald
© Bridget Aitken

Blue Jar
© Bridget Aitken

 August
© Bridget Aitken

 Jars
© Bridget Aitken

 On The Way To Perdue
© Bridget Aitken

 Mustard Fields
© Bridget Aitken

 Prussian Blue Angus
© Bridget Aitken

   Esme in the studio
© Bridget Aitken

 Esme 1
© Bridget Aitken

Royal Conference
© Bridget Aitken

 Bridget's Flowers
© Bridget Aitken

 Three Holsteins
© Bridget Aitken

 Mauve Hills
© Bridget Aitken
 
 Equus
© Bridget Aitken

 
 Equus II
© Bridget Aitken

Blue
© Bridget Aitken

 Circus
© Bridget Aitken

 Snow Bales
© Bridget Aitken

 Sunday Morning Girl in the studio
© Bridget Aitken
 
Spring Field
 © Bridget Aitken

 Summertime
© Bridget Aitken 

 Windy
© Bridget Aitken

 Temptation
© Bridget Aitken

 Clouds 'n' Cattle
© Bridget Aitken

My current aesthetic interests lie in the countryside surrounding Saskatoon. I love horses so when I set off on my photographic jaunts I look for my equine muse. It turns out that there are a lot of lovely cows leading what look like pretty idyllic lives, albeit short lived. So I have produced a number of cow paintings in the last couple of years. I cannot rely on a lot of action from my subjects as I am sure the ranchers would not appreciate me stirring them up. I like energy in my paintings so I find it in the sky or the grass and fields. I represent the cows as I see them, stolid, pure of heart and observant.


When I was a girl I loved a little Black Angus calf that I called Gus. He would gently butt at my knee in play. He got bigger and bigger and I would sit on his back as he walked around; I so desperately wanted to ride.  I eventually traded him for a pony and I remember watching him through the slats of his pen being fattened up with grain by my riding instructor with whom the exchange was made. Poor Gussy, I gave him up for my beloved pony. I see him in one of my Black Angus - or painter’s prerogative - Prussian Blue Angus paintings.


I have ventured a little bit into landscape painting. Most of these works have originated from the subconscious, similarly the horse sculptures, Esme and Sunday Morning were born without model or photograph. Market Lady, however, was inspired by a photograph given to me by Jaqueline Fay Miller. 


I have also painted a number of abstracts in the last two years. With these I don’t usually know that I have anything until long after the fact. The painting, propped carelessly, maybe even disdainfully against a wall is suddenly viewed with new eyes and I think, “Well that’s not bad, I think I like it”. It also helps to have friends in the studio whom offer encouragement boosting one’s morale and confidence when needed. 


In a few days I am travelling to Ontario on an adventure with Nicki Ault and Jackie Miller. We will be painting en plein air in the Owen Sound area of Georgian Bay where I spent much of my time as a youth. I am so looking forward to painting with these two friends. There will be plenty of inspiration.


Bridget V. Aitken

September 19, 2013



Note: Bridget does not have a website, but is working on it. When it is ready I will provide a link.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work Bridget! If I'd known you were in Owen Sound last summer, I would have invited you to come paint in the field and woods by our summer place!

Frances

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work Bridget! If I'd known you were in Owen Sound last summer, I would have invited you to come paint in the field and woods by our summer place!

Frances