Monday, September 19, 2016

I Heart Art Supplies!

photo © Nicki Ault, 2016

For some people it is shoes, for others it is purses, and yet others it is make-up and hair products. You know, that "thing" that has you weak in the knees, flush in the cheeks and heart palpitating with the very thought. For me that "thing" is art supplies

Ooooh- I actually just had to brace myself with the very thought!

I love scanning the display racks of gorgeous tubes of pigment. I could stand there and dream all day... but that wouldn't get me nearly as far as actually pulling out my credit card and buying some, so that is usually what I do! However recently I had a gift certificate given to me... the best present for an artist ever, so a-shopping I did go! It was not easy to narrow my choices down, but eventually I chose two new oil colours by Daniel Smith: a brilliant purply pink called Quinacridone Magenta and a lovely neutral called Moonglow which Darrell Bell told me about. As much as I love my tubes of paint, my next fav is a crisp new brush, so I stocked up on three sizes that day. When I left the store I was content, satiated even.

But that was five days ago.

Guess where I want to go today despite the fact that I haven't so much as squeezed out a bead of paint in more than a month? I should have a rule for myself that I can only buy more supplies once I have actually used up some supplies. I should, but I don't.

I think I need a twelve step program!

2 comments:

CallingForth said...

I have used Daniel Smith watercolours and "moonglow"is one of my favourite colours. I find it quite different from the other brands of watercolours I use. It will be interesting to see how the oils contrast with what you usually use.:-)

Nicki said...

Hi Laurel,

I am so excited to try Moonglow! Darrell Bell raved about it and I can hardly wait to get to the studio to experiment.

Hope your painting is going well.

Nicki