Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Fall Tangle

Fall Tangle
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2016

A day at the studio was just what the doctor ordered. 

I worked out some ideas on my little 6x6's, all the while thinking about how I would tackle a similar subject on a larger scale. I have had something on the tip of my tongue for about three years now; something I want to say with paint but I just haven't been able to get there. I am not sure what the block is or why I am having such difficulty. I guess, if I were honest with myself, fear has something to do with it. 

After spending time at Bridget's acreage on Monday things came into clearer focus and I got back in touch with this idea that has been brewing for these last few years. Ultimately it is the feeling I have when I am out in the natural landscape that I want to express on canvas. Although I have done this to an extent in my past paintings, I have not managed to push myself as far as I truly want to go with it. I think I become too distracted by the subject that I forget about the more abstract idea of the feeling

Today was a good start to moving paint around again and loosely using my photos as reference to create studies for some new ideas.

No comments: