Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Two Commissions and June Sucks

two commissions underway
© Nicki Ault, 2017

I have two commissions on the go and I want them to be done by the end of June.

I am just going to take a moment to state the obvious. June is hellish. June is a panic. June is crunch time.

It is the time of the year when I always think, "Why don't I ever remember how intense June is?" I swear June is worse than December. By far. And I never remember.

The school year is winding down and there are field trips and assignments and concerts and assemblies and activities and projects and tests and no time to do it all and my husband always goes away to a conference in June and summer is coming and the kids will be home all the time and so I won't be able to get to the studio as much as I should and I have a thousand things to do but I am lucky because I will have my kids home all summer although they will suck up all my time but I love them and the time goes so fast but it goes so slow and they are teenagers so they will sleep in every day and I will feel like my time is being wasted because I could be painting but I won't be painting because I will be waiting for them to wake up and in the meantime I will be doing something stupid like the dishes and cleaning and flipping channels and getting stuck on CNN and worrying about Trump but eventually I might get to the studio for a sliver of the day but then I will have to leave because I will have to drive the kids to wherever they need to be but I love them so much that ultimately I don't mind doing it but I should have gotten more accomplished when school was in but I didn't because I always forget about June being hellish.

To be continued...

5 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

I am taking a course on organization online. It isn't really about organization, more about how we feel about being organized. Last week there was a great tip. Look at each small even minute task you do in a day and think about enjoying it. Aha. I found that transformed things. Your commissions will get done. And June doesn't really suck. Imagine having none of that activity. How empty life would be. I hear you. June is like that here too. Just constant in terms of demands. But now I am trying to enjoy each part of it. Your work is beautiful, and it will all be beautiful.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thanks Barbara! I maintain that June sucks, but I hear what you are saying. :D

XOXO Nicki

Marcela Strasdas said...

I so hear what you are saying..... I had a graduating son with all the ceremonies that come with that and family from abroad coming to stay for an extended period of time and while I can go in the studio and paint while they are here, it just doesn't happen as much as I'd like to..... maybe we just need to remember next time and adjust our expectations so we enjoy what is happening in our lives eh?

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara... well, June does suck a little. :)

I hear what you are saying, though, and I appreciate that.

XO Nicki

Nicki said...

Marcela, your June sounded so busy! Yes, the key is to try to still enjoy each day.

Nicki