Sunday, September 24, 2017

Last Sunset, Prospect Point

Last Sunset, Prospect Point
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2017
sold at Darrell Bell Gallery

I am just smitten with the group show, "Painting The Landscape", at Darrell Bell Gallery. It is truly a beautiful collection of landscape art by eight Saskatchewan artists. I am happy to report that so far sales have been brisk for everyone! All artists have sold work and received excellent feedback.

As you may recall I had the pedal to the metal as the show approached and I was painting like I have never painted before. Somehow I managed to create twenty new 8x8 inch paintings in the two week period right before the show, never mind other larger work I was working on. It was exhilarating! Of those twenty new pieces created, half of them have already found a home! The show runs until October 7th, so over the next couple of weeks I will post the work that is still available, so if you see something you love, there is still time to grab it.

This piece is one of my personal favourites, in part because I love the soft light of this sunset as a change from the more dramatic light of sunsets I have portrayed in the past. But more than that I think it is one of my favourites because of the memory attached to the image. On the night of this sunset I was out with my kids enjoying our last night at the lake. We ended up at a lookout near the golf course and there the three of us stood taking pictures through the trees of the setting sun. Now granted, the fact that I was standing on a massive ant hill does not add to the fond memory, but overall I will remember how much fun we had that evening.

No comments: