Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Canola Fading

Canola Fading
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2017
sold at Darrell Bell Gallery

This summer I was acutely aware of farmland! In particular, I took mental note of the changes in the canola crops from the fresh, light yellow of the flowers first blooming, to the full-blown spectacle of the intense yellow fields in all their glory, to the pale and greenish colour as the petals started to fall off the mature plants. Quite frankly, I sometimes feel like I am a bit pale and greenish colour as I mature, but that's a post for another day. Anyhoo, this painting is an ode to canola in its final act; beautiful, subdued and dignified.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I really love your work Nicki (and enjoyed meeting your briefly on your back deck at Waskesiu). I am also amazed at your work output. I am new to your work but it seems like you are in a particularly creative sweet spot at the moment. I will check out your work at the Darrell Bell gallery next time I am in Saskatoon. Thank you for sharing here and on facebook.

Nicki said...

Hi Kathy! Thank you so much for checking my work out... it was lovely to meet you at the lake! I have been painting lots these days, partly because so many exciting things are coming together. It hasn't always been this way and it is so exciting that things feel like they are coming together. I hope you are finding some time to create a bit. Take care, Nicki